We love our technology, but in some ways we are taking the old road.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Bird on the Boot

Whenever I go into the chicken coop, one of the chicks hops onto my boot.



Now, I can't be sure if it's always the same one, because they look so much alike. But it's always a small one, so it might be.

For the first several days that we had the chicks, my youngest child kept feeding them out of her hand. She noticed that it was often a small one that came to eat out of her hand, and she decided it was always the same one. It's hard to know.

But now this chick keeps hopping on my boot and either looking up at me or pecking at my boots. The spots are interesting to them; they're always looking for something interesting to eat. But this chick has also hopped up and pecked my knee when I've crouched down, and it's tried to hop up to peck me when I'm standing, too!

I'm not sure if it thinks I'm bringing it food or if it thinks I AM food.

If it keeps this up when it gets bigger, I'm going to have a problem. I'm counting on it getting fat and lazy, as is typical for this breed.

2 comments:

  1. That's so cute! I wonder if you could mark it some way? A little dab of paint on the top of his head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd thought of that. Then we decided he'd get pecked to death, since they all peck at any spot that looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete